I love that broccoli is available all year round – it’s never out if style, and it is one of the most adaptable veggies out there. Grill it, batter it, stir fry it…however you take it, broccoli is going to boost your intake of vitamins K and C, and provide you with fiber too. It is a triple threat: a delicious, nutritious, transformable vegetables.
Forget trying to sneak vegetables into kids meals, us adults need to up our fruit and veggie intake too, and we can’t think of a more fun way to enjoy veggies than in tater tot form! These herby cheesy crisp little nuggets are packed with flavor and perfect for little and big tummies. If your kids work out that there are vegetables in them…just tell them it’s what Hulk eats.
2 heads of broccoli
1 medium Yukon potatoes, peeled
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
½ cup grated parmesan
½ cup chopped parsley
1 large egg
For sour cream dipping sauce:
5-6 tbsp sour cream
2 tbsp chopped parsley
Juice of half a lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Bring two pots to the boil and add a pinch of salt to each.
- Add the chopped broccoli to one (discard the stems) and the diced potatoes to the other (1” pieces).
- Cook the broccoli for 4 minutes before draining and setting aside.
- Cook the potatoes for a further 6 minutes until soft, drain and set aside.
- Using a food processor, pulse-blend the cooked vegetables until almost smooth – don’t over blend as this will make for a wetter mix.
- In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, parsley and egg together to form a wet crumb. Scoop a tablespoon sized amount of the vegetable mix and sprinkle with the crumb mix, forming tater tot shapes and adding more crumbs until well formed.
- Place the breaded tots on a greased lined baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes, turn and cook for an additional 20 minutes before allowing to cool before serving.
- While the tots are baking, whisk together the lemon juice, sour cream and parsley and chill until ready to serve.